The Safety Management System
The Safety Management System in the Polenergia Elektrociepłownia Nowa Sarzyna Sp. z o.o.
In accordance with Art. 261a of the Environmental Protection Law, OJ from 2018 pos. 799, as amended, (the "EPL Act") the Polenergia Power Plant in Nowa Sarzyna ("ENS") being qualified as a plant with an increased risk of a major industrial accident, publishes below the information regarding the prevention of industrial accidents.
1. Main information of the Power Plant:
Polenergia Elektrociepłownia Nowa Sarzyna Sp. z o.o.
37-310 Nowa Sarzyna
ul. ks. J. Popiełuszki 2
• Jacek Głowacki – President of the Management Board, General Director
• Joanna Podubny – Management Board Member, Finance Director
• Aleksander Zarębski – Management Board Member, Technical Director
2. Business description:
The core business of ENS is to conduct business in the area of the generation and sale of electricity and heat, as well as performing related services.
3. Prevention of industrial accidents:
Polenergia Elektrociepłownia Nowa Sarzyna Sp. z o.o. was qualified to plants with an increased risk of major industrial accidents ("ZZR") because there are fuel oil storage tanks at their premises, whose capacity storage is greater than the threshold (> 2,500 mg) (as) specified in the "Ordinance of the Minister of Economy dated 10 October 2013 on the types and quantities of hazardous substances whose presence in the establishment decides to include it to the plant of an increased risk or a plant with a high risk of serious industrial accident".
Pursuant to Article 250 section 1 of the EPL Act, ENS filed an application to the District Headquarters of the State Fire Service ("PSP") in Leżajsk and to the Regional Inspector for Environmental Protection in Rzeszów and provided the Accident Prevention Program to these authorities.
ENS has also prepared the Company's Operation and Rescue Plan.
The above mentioned documents are regularly updated and the procedures contained therein have been implemented and are periodically checked during training with the participation of ENS employees and territorial units of the PSP.
In accordance with the implemented Policy on the prevention of major industrial accidents the ENS management is committed to:
• preventing major accidents;
• making efforts to improve the security situation;
• being in compliance with regulatory requirements and other requirements related to our business;
• continuous improvement actions to prevent major accidents;
• ensuring that all means necessary to realize the Accident Prevention Program are met;
• improving qualifications of the employees and training them in the prevention of major accidents.
4. Characteristics of stored hazardous substances which decisively qualify the plant as a plant of increased risk of industrial accidents ("ZZR"):
A substance that qualifies ENS as a plant of increased risk of industrial accidents is a light fuel oil, CAS 68334-30-5, classified in accordance with Ordinance (EC) No 1272/2008 as harmful and hazardous to the environment.
5. Means of alerts in the event of an industrial accident:
An employee who notices an accident, immediately if possible, assesses the degree of risk, informing at the same time in any available manner:
• nearby co-workers;
• the Shift Engineer ("DIR").
The fire threat alarm or other local danger alarm (ei. the spillage or contamination by hazardous substances) is announced by:
• local sirens - triggered automatically by the gas or fire detection systems;
• manual fire call points (ROP);
• other ways (ei. a loud cry).
The Shift Engineer on duty, immediately after receiving news of the accident, starts organizing interventions, evaluates the size of the danger and notifies:
• the State Fire Services;
• the O&M Supervisor;
• the ENS General Director and Technical Director.
The Director shall take a decision as to the range of the accident removal, and, if necessary, contacts personally or through an appointed representative, all the authorities and institutions outside the ENS.
- the Shift Engineer in ENS: (17) 240 50 15
- Emergency Notification Centre in Rzeszów: 112
- State Fire Service: 998
- Ambulance: 999
- Police: 997
In the event of a major industrial accident that extends outside the ENS premises (e.i. large amounts of smoke from burning oil), after thorough assessment of the size and forecasts for accident development made by the ENS management, the civilian population will be informed about the threat and how to proceed by:
• the Civil Protection authorities - ENS will inform the Civil Protection for the Municipal Council of Nowa Sarzyna about the threat through the Commander of the Intervention Team ("CIT") appointed by the Director. The Civil Protection authorities will inform the public about the threat by the siren placed on the roof of the building of the Municipal Council of Nowa Sarzyna and by a message: "Attention! I declare an alarm about the fire of oil tanks at the power plant and the possible hazard caused by the emission of fumes - Please get out of open space - take refuge in buildings and close the holes." The Civil Protection authorities, through their own procedures, will launch the appropriate services such as the police, health services, veterinary services.
• the neighboring plants: the chemical plant Ciech Sarzyna S.A. (CS) and the Chemical Plant "Polish Silicones" Sp. o.o. (SiP). The Commander of the Intervention Team (CIT) will inform the neighboring plants about the threat based on the "Cooperation Procedure". CS will activate their plant warning and alarm system depending on the size of the event - according to their internal procedures (e.g. the radio broadcasting system in the plant).
The appeal of alarms is done by the same means and procedures, which were used to announce the alarms.
6. The Group of plants with an increased and high risk of industrial accident.
Based on the decision of the Voivodeship Commander of the State Fire Service in Rzeszow No. 614/11 dated 18 November 2011, the group of plants with an increased (ZZR) and high risk (ZDR) of an industrial accident was set up. ENS is its member.
In the above mentioned decision, the Voivodeship Commander of the State Fire Service imposed the obligation of mutual information about the risks and the arrangements for alarm in the event of their occurrence, as well as to provide to the Voivodeship Command the necessary data to develop and update the external operational and rescue plan and other analyzes.
Update of 18 July 2019.